There are at least 16 types of collagen. The four main types are type I, II, III, and IV.
Here’s a closer look at the four main types of collagen and their role in your body:
- Type I: This type accounts for 90% of your body’s collagen and is made of densely packed fibers. It provides structure to skin, bones, tendons, fibrous cartilage, connective tissue, and teeth.
- Type II: This type is made of more loosely packed fibers and is found in elastic cartilage, which cushions joints.
- Type III: This type supports the structure of muscles, organs, and arteries.
- Type IV: This type helps with filtration and is found in layers of your skin.
As you age, your body produces less and lower-quality collagen.
One of the visible signs of this is in your skin, which becomes less firm and supple. Cartilage also weakens with age.
Two types supplements are gaining popularity: hydrolyzed collagen (collagen hydrolysate) and gelatin. Gelatin is created when collagen is cooked.
These have already broken the large protein down into smaller peptides, which are more easily absorbed in the body.
There aren’t many studies on collagen supplements, but those that exist show promise for benefits in the following areas:
- Muscle mass: A 2019 study in recreationally active men showed that a combination of collagen peptide supplements and strength training increased muscle mass and strength more than a placebo.
- Arthritis: A 2017 animal study looked at the effects of giving collagen supplements to mice with post-traumatic osteoarthritis (PTOA). The results indicated that supplementation may play a protective role in the disease’s development and progression.
- Skin elasticity: Women who took a supplement showed improvements in skin appearance and elasticity in a 2019 study. Collagen is also used in topical treatments to improve the appearance of skin by minimizing lines and wrinkles.
Some alternative medicine practitioners also advocate using collagen supplements to treat leaky gut syndrome.
There are so many collagen’s out there on the market and it can be overwhelming! I personally drink, and offer this collagen to all of my patients. It tastes good, it’s simple, you don’t have to mix it with a smoothie. Just a tablespoon twice a day! If you want to purchase and get $10 off you can click this link to purchase! I AM OBSESSED! I don’t offer or sell anything I do not LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Please reach out if you have any questions!